Saturday, January 26, 2013

Chocolate Swirl Pops

What was I doing in the kitchen making popsicles in winter? Living in Texas, there are days that feels like summer... hot and humid.

I can't really find ice cream without guar gum or some sort of additives, so I decided to start making my own ice cream. Since I needed to make a cold snack for my kids, I decided to make popsicles.

I just played around with leftover whipping cream and came up with the super simple recipe. It only requires three ingredients. Yup! Just three!

To my surprise, the chocolate swirl pops were perfectly sweet and very creamy. The chocolate gave the unexpected crunch. I luv the mini-sized pops but any pop molds would do. Be warn, they are very addictive.

Chocolate Swirl Pops
makes 12 mini pops

1 cup (8 oz) heavy whipping cream (Organic Valley)
1/4 cup (2 oz) chocolate chips (Enjoy Life)
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar 
  1. In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup (2 oz) of the heavy whipping cream and chocolate chips.
  2. Microwave the chocolate mixture for 30 seconds.
  3. Stir to mix. If the chocolate chips have not melted, microwave for another 10 seconds. Then set aside to cool.
  4. In a large bowl, whip 3/4 cup (6 oz) of the heavy whipping cream and sugar on a medium speed until soft peaks form. 
  5. Swirl the melted chocolate into the whipped cream with a spatula.
  6. With a small cookie scooper, scoop the mixture into the mini candy cups (or pop molds), about 3/4 full.
  7. Insert popsicle sticks.
  8. Freeze the pops overnight.
  9. Peel off the candy cups before serving.
Allergy Info: These chocolate swirl pops are free from or can be made without eggs, corn, legumes (soy), wheat, nuts, and fish. Keep in mind that if you are super sensitive to corn, candy cups are coated with wax and/or lollipop sticks are made with glue which may contain corn. Silicon molds, wooden or bamboo popsicle sticks may be safer alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment