Monday, March 3, 2014

Chocolate Covered Kiwi Pops

I decided that this year, I'd post more recipes coincide with the holidays. With baking, I find it to be a challenge to make desserts appear in pretty holiday-ish color. Without food color, I can only make something brownish looking. Thanks to chocolate chips.

Last month, I made Candied Heart Beets for Valentines. So I was thinking, maybe I should look more into fruits and veggies. For St. Patrick's Day, I started the search for green things in the produce section.

You may have notice juuust a little bit that my favorite color is green. Hence, my blog is in green. I just luv all shades of green. I feel so Zen when I look at green things in nature... except crawly stuff. And there are so many greenish choices in the produce section. Asparagus and lettuce are the obvious ones. But I also found kiwi, and they were on sales. Well, I went through the same dilemma with beets. I bought the kiwi, walked pass them, and just couldn't think of what to do with them. So I searched for images of kiwi desserts. WOW!!! So many!!! The one that caught my eyes what looked like a frozen kiwi covered in chocolate.

Living in Texas, there are days that are warm enough to have something sweet and cold in the winter. I decided to take up the challenge of making chocolate covered kiwi pops. They were pretty easy to make. The time consuming process was waiting for the kiwi slices to freeze up. AND what surprised me the most was that Brek ate the whole pop. Yeah, he did. He didn't like kiwi at all. It was hard for Camden to bite it though. I made a smaller version especially for him.

I'm so glad I found a way to add vitamin C to my kids' diet. These pops are frozen, so they can sit in the freeze for a long, long, long time. Now that's a bonus. They are definitely the perfect summer treats. And this gets me thinking... what other colorful fruits can I experiment with next.

Chocolate Covered Kiwi Pops
makes 6

1 kiwi
1/2 cup chocolate chips
  1. Line a baking tray with a nonstick mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. Peel the kiwi then slice it to 1/2 inch thick.
  3. Pierce a 3 to 4 inch bamboo skew (or paddle pick) into each kiwi slice.
  4. Place the kiwi slices onto the prepared baking tray.
  5. Freeze the kiwi slices for 4 hours or overnight.
  6. When the kiwi slices are frozen, melt the chocolate chips either in a microwave or on a double boiler.
  7. Dip the kiwi slice into the melted chocolate, using a spatula to smooth off the excess.
  8. Place the chocolate kiwi pops back onto the baking tray.
  9. Freeze for at least 15 minutes before serving. Keep each pop in a sealed plastic bag.
TIP: Right after kiwi is dipped into the chocolate, sprinkle something special such as toasted nuts or chia seeds.

Allergy Info: These chocolate kiwi pops are free from or can be made without dairy, eggs, corn, legumes (soy), nuts, wheat, and fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment