Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pastry Cream

Remember the cream in the Bavarian doughnuts? Oh man, how I luv that cream!!! Of course, I have to make my own since the cream has to be dairy and corn free.

I found William Sonoma's pastry cream recipe, but milk and corn starch were parts of the ingredients. How did I modify the recipe? Easy! For dairy free, I used coconut milk and omitted the butter. I substituted all-purpose flour for the corn starch.

Beside eating the pastry cream straight up, I serve it with waffles. It is a perfect filling for fruit tarts or in puffs like éclair or puff shells. I actually enjoy it like a pudding with fruits (see my pastry cream fruit cup picture).

I usually have egg yolks leftover from making angle food cake, meringues, or macaroons. When I don't know what to do with the egg yolks, I'd make pastry cream. Feel free to double or triple the recipe. Keep it an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Pastry Cream
adapted from William Sonoma's Pastry Cream
makes 1 cup

3/4 cup (6 oz) coconut milk
2 large egg yolks
1/4 cup (1.7 oz) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
  1. In a small saucepan, bring the coconut milk to a soft boil at a low medium heat. NOTE: Soft boil is when bubbles start to form on the side of the saucepan.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
  3. Once the milk comes to a soft boil, whisk the egg mixture while adding about 1/4 cup of hot milk.
  4. Whisk the egg mixture while adding the rest of the hot milk.
  5. Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan. NOTE: Keep the stove on low-medium heat.
  6. Whisk in the flour.
  7. Stir the egg mixture using a wooden spoon until thicken, about 2-3 minutes.
  8. Turn off the stove and whisk in the vanilla extract.
  9. Transfer the pastry cream to a bowl. Enjoy it after it cools down or store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Allergy Info: This pastry cream is free from or can be made without dairy, corn, legumes (soy), nuts (not coconut), or fish. For gluten free, substitute all-purpose flour with arrowroot or tapioca starch.

No comments:

Post a Comment