Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Chocolate Frosting (dairy free)

How do I make a dairy free chocolate frosting? This has been one of my biggest challenge in my world of baking. I tried and tested so many recipes, using coconut oil. Fail!!! The frostings just didn't have the smooth texture I wanted to achieve.

While grocery shopping, I spotted the palm shortening many times. Never thought the need of using it. But I decided to bring a tub home for recipe testing.

The first time I spooned out the shortening, I was super happy with the smooth texture. One morning, Brek asked me if we could have chocolate cake for afternoon snack. While I was baking us the cake, I thought of testing out a frosting for the cake. This time I replaced the coconut oil with the palm shortening.

WOW!!! I believe I found my go-to chocolate frosting. Not too sweet. Very creamy. And I dare say... "chocolate frosting shots". Yeah, baby!!! It's that good!!!

Chocolate Frosting
makes about 1 cup (enough to frost 6 cupcakes)

1/2 cup (3 oz) chocolate chips
1/2 cup (4 oz) shortening, divided
4 Tablespoons (1 oz) powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Place the chocolate chips in a large microwavable bowl.
  2. Microwave them on High for 30 seconds then whisk.
  3. Microwave them again for 10 seconds then whisk.
  4. Add a tablespoon of shortening and repeat step 3 until chocolate chips are melted. TIP: Be patient when melting chocolate chips so they won't burn.
  5. Shift the powdered sugar on to the melted chocolate.
  6. Using a hand mixer, mix on a low speed until the powdered sugar is no longer visible.
  7. Add the rest of the shortening and vanilla extract.
  8. Mix on a low speed until the mixture is smooth.
  9. The chocolate frosting is ready for use or keep in an airtight container at a room temperature for up to a week. NOTE: Keep in mind that in winter, the chocolate frosting may harden. If so, microwave the frosting for 10 seconds then whisk. Repeat until the frosting is smooth again.
Allergy Info: This chocolate frosting is free from or can be made without dairy, eggs, corn, legumes (soy), wheat, nuts (not palm), or fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment