Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Indoor S'mores with Vanilla Marshmallows

One of the best things in life is finding a good bargain. I luv shopping at Half Price Books. As I mentioned in my Summer Reading blog post, I have a large collection of cookbooks that I can practically run a small library out of my home.

I enjoy making candy at home but finding a good cookbook is another story. Most of the candy making cookbooks are filled with artificial ingredients. When I found Love Foods' Marshmallows, I was super surprised to find the actual ingredients listed in most of the recipes. What makes these marshmallow recipes different is the egg white. The only marshmallow recipes I've seen are the ones that were made from corn syrup. Since I couldn't have corn way back when, I substituted it with maple syrup to make my go-to maple syrup marshmallows. Since the maple syrup is so darn expensive these days, I'm super happy to find an alternative to make marshmallows without it.

After taking it home and flipping through the book that very day, I decided to test out the basic vanilla marshmallows. I modified the recipe to make just half of the amount indicated. Because I used my own vanilla extract, I also added vanilla beans for even more vanilla aromatic. This is optional. Taste the freshly whipped marshmallow and add the vanilla extract with or without vanilla beans to taste.

Vanilla Marshmallows
adapted from Love Foods' Marshmallows
makes about 12 or more, depending on the size

1/4 cup (2 oz) hot water
2 Tablespoons (0.6 oz) gelatin
1/2 cup (4 oz) water
1 1/8 cup (7.7 oz) sugar
1 extra large egg white (1.3 oz)
vanilla bean from 1 vanilla pod
1 - 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
cooking oil
powdered sugar
  1. Mix together the hot water and gelatin. Set it aside.
  2. In a heavy-bottomed pot, whisk together the water and sugar.
  3. Bring the mixture to a boil until the candy thermometer reaches 248F degree (firm ball stage), about 8 - 10 minutes.
  4. While the sugar mixture is boiling, whisk the egg white in a stand alone mixer until stiff peak forms.
  5. Split the vanilla bean then scrape the pods. Add the vanilla pods to the whipped egg white and whisk for another minute.
  6. Turn off the mixer and wait for the sugar gelatin mixture.
  7. Once the sugar water reaches 248F degree, turn off the heat and whisk in the gelatin.
  8. Turn the stand alone mixer on low.
  9. Slowly pour the sugar gelatin to the side of the mixture.
  10. Turn the mixer to High speed (8 or 10) and whip for 10 minutes.
  11. While the marshmallow is whipping, spray the 6 by 8 baking pan with a cooking oil. Dust it with powdered sugar. Set it aside. NOTE: I use this size pan because I want thick marshmallows. An 8-inch square or larger baking pan would make thinner marshmallows.
  12. Once ready, add the vanilla extract and whip for another minute. NOTE: Add more vanilla extract to your liking. I add one to two tablespoons of vanilla extract.
  13. Pour the freshly whipped marshmallow into a prepared pan.
  14. Wet your hand and smooth the top. 
  15. Sprinkle with the powdered sugar.
  16. Let it sit in the room temperature for about 15 minutes before cutting them into 1-inch cubes. Enjoy them or keep them in an air tight container at a room temperature for up to a week.
Indoor S'mores
After making some vanilla marshmallows, my kids and I decided to have some fun making s'mores... indoor!!! We decided to test them out by roasting them over the stovetop. They were as delicious as roasting them outdoor over a campfire. My kids actually luv plain toasted marshmallows. You can make as many indoor s'mores as your sweet tooth can handle. The instruction is same.

graham crackers (New Morning)
chocolate chips, melted
vanilla marshmallows
  1. Break a sheet of graham cracker in equal size.
  2. Turn the graham crackers over on a plate.
  3. Spread each graham cracker with melted chocolate. Set aside.
  4. Pierce the vanilla marshmallows with the camping forks.
  5. Turn the stovetop on to a low heat.
  6. Roast the vanilla marshmallows until they are dark brown color and have the burnt sugar aroma.
  7. Place the toasted marshmallows on top of melted chocolate graham crackers.
  8. Place another melted chocolate graham cracker on top of the toasted marshmallow to form a s'more. Enjoy!!!
Allergy Info: These vanilla marshmallows are free from or can be made without dairy, corn, legumes (soy), wheat, nuts, and fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment