Monday, September 22, 2014

Crispy Tortilla Wraps

This recipe came to me after watching Dinner, Dine, and Drive featuring crispy Asian wrap. The wrap looked seriously crunchy and oh so mouth watering.

Got me wondering... how easy it was to duplicate this meal with my own flour tortilla recipe and my own fillings. OK, I have to say it, "Super duper easy!!!"

Basically, I used my flour tortilla recipe for the crispy tortillas. Instead of cooking it on a dry griddle, I pan fried the tortilla. The fillings were very versatile. I was thinking of a brunch, so I was aiming for some breakfast fillings. My kids luv scramble eggs with candied bacons. Sometimes I added candied salmon or leftover proteins like chicken nuggets.

These crispy tortilla wraps have been my kids' favorite brunch. Great for dinner too with pulled pork filling. I even packed them in Brek's school lunchbox. Feel free to make a lot to feed a big crowd.

Crispy Tortilla Wraps
makes 6

1/2 flour tortilla recipe
a lot of safflower oil
Fillings: scramble eggs, candy bacons, smoke or candy salmon, ham, or shredded cheese
  1. Make half of the flour tortilla dough.
  2. Set aside to rest for 15 minutes while preparing the fillings, like scrambled eggs.
  3. Preheat the oven to 225F degree.
  4. Place a wiring rack over a baking pan then place both of them in the oven.
  5. When ready to make the crispy tortilla, heat a 10 inch frying pan to a medium low heat.
  6. Add a good amount of oil to the pan.
  7. Take about a golf ball size dough.
  8. Roll it out into a thin round tortilla.
  9. When the oil is hot, place the tortilla in the frying pan.
  10. Pan fry the tortilla until crispy and lightly brown, about 45-60 seconds per side.
  11. Place the crispy tortilla on a plate and add the fillings.
  12. Fold the crispy tortilla in half then place it in the preheated oven to keep warm.
  13. Make the rest of the crispy tortilla. Serve warm.
TIP: There is no need to make a new batch of tortilla dough. Add the filling to the cooked tortilla. Fold the tortilla like a wrap. Pan fry until golden brown, about 60-90 seconds per side.

Allergy Info: These crispy tortillas are free from or can be made without dairy, eggs, corn, legumes (soy), nuts, and fish. Choose the filling according to your allergy free diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment