Monday, October 20, 2014

Caramel Popcorn

I really missed caramel popcorn while I was on Camden's allergy free diet. After he outgrew the allergy, I went straight to the grocery store to get a bag. But I couldn't bring myself to buy a bag... well because they were made with questionable ingredients.

By now, you probably read or heard about GMO in our food sources. I've been careful to stay on a clean diet even though my kids only have to avoid legumes and dairy. Just like everything else that I have a craving for, I decided to make my own caramel popcorn.

I found a recipe where the popcorn kernels are popped on stove top with a few tablespoon of sugar. But they didn't remind me of the caramel popcorn I used to have when I visited the local pumpkin patches. Search for THE caramel popcorn recipe continued on until last Fall.
 
I found a few caramel popcorn. Pop the popcorn kernels then drizzle them with homemade or store bought caramel. My brain was at work. Hey, I already knew how to make the dairy free caramel from scratch. Hmmm... what if... YEEEEAH!!!
 
That is how I came up with this caramel popcorn recipe, using my dairy free caramel recipe. Seriously addictive. Ask all of my friends who ate them before and they can vouch for it. Quick and easy snack to make. Be sure to use organic popcorn kernels. Most of the time, I add sliced almonds. Substitute the nuts with cranberries for the Autumn flavor. Make a lot to feed a big hungry crowd.
 
Caramel Popcorn
serves 4

popcorn:
1/2 cup (4 oz) organic popcorn kernels
1 Tablespoon coconut oil or safflower oil

caramel:
1/4 cup (2 oz) maple syrup
3 Tablespoon (1.5 oz) water
3/4 cup (3 oz) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt

add-in
1/2 cup (1.8 oz) slice almonds and/or cranberries
  1. Line a baking pan with a nonstick mat. Spray a large bowl with a cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. In a big pot or a pan with a lid, add the oil and three popcorn kernels.
  3. Once a kernel pops, add the rest of the kernels.
  4. Pop the kernels until you no longer hear a popping sound.
  5. Pour the popcorn on to the prepare baking pan.
  6. Place only the popped popcorn in the prepared large bowl. Discard the unpopped kernels.
  7. Add in the sliced almonds or cranberries. Set aside.
  8. Preheat the oven to 250F degree.
  9. In a heavy bottom pot, whisk together the maple syrup, water, sugar, and salt.
  10. Bring the mixture to a boil until the candy thermometer reads 230F degree.
  11. Slowly pour the caramel over the popcorn.
  12. With large spatula, coat the popcorn with the caramel.
  13. Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.
  14. Break the caramel popcorn into bit size pieces. Enjoy!!!
STORING: The caramel popcorn keep well in an air tight container at a room temperature for up to 5 days.

Allergy Info: The caramel popcorn are free from or can be made without dairy, eggs, legumes (soy), wheat, nuts (if not using), or fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment