Friday, January 10, 2014

Baked Sweet Plantains

Last year, I noticed that my legs were really sored. The muscles just felt tight that I felt like a good message would help. But it didn't.

One night, I was clicking through Netflix instant played movies and came across a documentary called Forks Over Knives. While I was watching it, I noticed many peopled in the movie who changed their diet to plant based were saying how their arthritis just disappeared.

When I grocery shopped after watching that movie, I decided to start buying more vegetables and more fruits, including bananas. I stated to eat a banana at least one per day. Well, my legs felt better... felt normal. I realized that I was lacking potassium.

Honestly, I just don't like bananas, unless they are in a cake or a muffin. I started to look for other alternatives for potassium. I spotted some banana chips and ripped plantains. I hadn't baked plantains in ages, so I decided to buy a few to bake them for a side dish. While I was slicing them, I thought "wonder what they will taste like if they are coated with sugar." Gave that a test drive. Wow!!! Super addictive!!! My kids loved them too.

Once in a while, I'd bake the plantains as an afternoon snack but usually as a side dish. Make sure the plantains are really ripen. They keep well in the closed container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Warm them up in a microwave for 30 seconds. They are tas-tee!!!

Baked Sweet Plantains
serve 4-6 people

3-4 ripped large plantains
1/2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1-2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°F degrees. Line the (17 inch) baking sheet with nonstick mat or parchment paper.
  2. Peel and slice the plantains, making sure they are the same size. So they will bake at the same time.
  3. Place the sliced plantains in a large bowl.
  4. Add the vegetable oil.
  5. Using your hand, coat the sliced plantains in oil.
  6. Sprinkle the sugar over the sliced plantains.
  7. Using your hand, coat the sliced plantains in sugar.
  8. Place the sliced plantains on to the prepared baking sheet.
  9. Bake the plantains for 15 minutes.
  10. Turn each slice over and bake another 15 minutes more.
  11. Take out the tray and place it on top of the wire rack to cool. As the plantains cool down, the sugar should caramelize them. Enjoy them as snack or as a side dish.
Allergy Info: These baked sweet plantains are free from or can be made without dairy, eggs, corn, legumes (soy), wheat, nuts and fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment