Monday, January 20, 2014

The Endless Possibility of Oatmeal

So this morning, it just dawned on me that it's been awhile since my kids and I had oatmeal for breakfast. I had to ask, "How about oatmeal for breakfast?" YES... with raisins!!!

I've made oatmeal many times with just rice milk and rolled oats. This morning, I realized that oatmeal is like a blank canvas. I can pretty much add what I am craving for and voila... breakfast!!!

So ask yourself this, what are you craving for? For a caffeine fixed, add chocolate chips to the oatmeal. For tropical flavor, add toasted coconut flakes, dried mango, and dried pineapple. For a healthier version, sprinkle chia seeds and ground flax seeds. Camden prefers his oatmeal naked... yup, just plain oatmeal with no sweetener. Brek prefers his with raisins. Me? I don't have any favorite add-in, but I do love anything with chocolate.

Keep in mind that oatmeal is also great for a healthy snack. For today, I made maple raisin oatmeal. Change it up by substitute raisins with your favorite toppings. I don't usually add maple syrup or sugar in the oatmeal because I find oatmeal taste better without any sweetener. I added just enough maple syrup to test out this recipe. Feel free to double or triple my maple raisin recipe. I only made enough for my kids and me.

Maple Raisin Oatmeal
serve 2

3/4 cup (6 oz) preferred milk
1/2 cup (2 oz) rolled oats
1 Tablespoon raisins
dash of ground cinnamon
pinch of ground nutmeg
Maple syrup to taste
  1. Pour the milk into a small sauce pan.
  2. Add the rolled oats and raisins.
  3. Whisk to combine and heat the oatmeal until the mixture is bubbling.
  4. Turn off the stove and add the spices and maple syrup.
  5. Whisk until combine and spoon into the serving bowls.
Allergy Info: This maple raisin oatmeal is free from or can be made without dairy, eggs, corn, legumes (soy), wheat (if using gluten free rolled oats), nuts and fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment