Saturday, June 1, 2013

Ice Coffee

Can you imagine not having ice coffee for almost 4 years? While I was on Camden's allergy free diet, I really missed the instant ice coffee. The one that came in single serving pouch and all I had to do was mix the granulated instant coffee in a tall glass of milk and add ice cubes.

After Camden outgrew his food intolerant, I added the instant ice coffee to my grocery list. When I found the coffee I had over four years ago, I noticed the packaging changed. It looked pretty.

As a habit, I always read labels. So I went ahead and read the ingredients of this instant ice coffee. What the...!!! 13 ingredients listed and I was able to understand two of them: coffee and milk. The other ingredients were the things from a sci-fi script: dipotassium phosphate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, or silicon dioxide. What the hell was I drinking before I knew how to read labels? Forget the pretty packaging. This is insane.

I still had the ice coffee craving, so I decided to find the cleaned ingredients and make my own version. First, I found grounded coffee. Check. Then I found Organic Valley half and half. Check. But then I spotted their hazelnut flavor. It was the cleanest and best flavor half and half I found. Plus no guar gum.

After making many cups of ice coffee, my coffee maker bit the dust. I'm not really a coffee drinker, so I don't wanna spend money on another coffee maker. So I went back to many grocery stores and found 100% instant granulated coffee. Check.

After all of the dilemma I went through, I can now blog and add ice coffee to my list of something sweeter. Feeling adventurous? Crush the ice cubes using a blender or shave ice using the shave ice machine then add the coffee. Ohhh soooo gooood!!!

Ice Coffee
serves 3

1 1/2 cups (12 oz) water, divided
3 teaspoons instant granulated coffee (365)
1 cup (8 oz) hazelnut half and half (Organic Valley)
lotsa ice cubes
  1. In a microwavable cup, warm the 4 ounces of water, about 20 seconds.
  2. Add instant coffee and stir until dissolved.
  3. Pour the coffee into a bottle or a pitcher.
  4. Add the 9 ounces of water.
  5. Add the hazelnut half and half and stir until combine. Organic Valley hazelnut half and half is already sweetened with organic cane sugar. Taste the coffee before adding sugar or other sweetener.
  6. Fill the tall glass with ice cubes then add the coffee. Enjoy it on a hot day.
Allergy Info: My ice coffee recipe is free from or can be made without eggs, legumes (soy), wheat, and fish. To make it dairy, corn, or nut free, use dairy, corn or nut free milk and/or half and half. Then add the sweetener to your liking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment