Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Honey Muffins (a.k.a. honey bread)

Lately, I was stumped on what to bake for Brek's school breakfast. I wanted to try something different, so I started to look through the William Sonoma's Cooking at Home cookbook. This book is HUUUUGE, with a lot of recipes info at my finger tips. The only thing this book doesn't have is the traditional William Sonoma's beautiful photographs of the foods. I bought it anyway because I thought of it as an encyclopedia of recipes and how-to tips.

When I looked up bread, muffins, and cupcake sections in the cookbook, I came across the honey bread recipe. After scanning through the ingredients (not bad) and the directions (easy), I decided to bake the honey bread. Since I was baking it for Brek's school breakfast, I baked them in the muffin pan for an easy grab-n-go breakfast.

While I was measuring the honey on my kitchen scale, I was thinking to myself, "Man, that's a lot of honey. Wonder if it's too sweet?" I decided to omit the sugar asked for in the original recipe. Good thing I did because the muffins came out perfectly sweet with a strong honey aromatic. My kids loved the honey muffins so much that they actually ate the whole batch. All twelve muffins disappeared within three days. Brek even asked me if I could bake these honey muffins for his breakfast again. Luv it when I found a great go-to breakfast recipe.

Honey Muffins (or honey bread)
adapted from Cooking at Home honey bread
makes 12 regular size muffins

1 egg yolk
1/2 cup (4 oz) coconut milk
1/2 cup (6 oz) honey
1/8 c (1 oz) palm shortening or coconut oil
1 1/4 cup (6.25 oz) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup (1 oz) ground almond
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F degree. Grease the muffin pan with vegetable oil or line it with muffin liners.
  2. In a big bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, milk, honey, shortening until creamy.
  3. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and ground almond.
  4. Whisk the flour mixture into the egg mixture until just combine.
  5. Using a large scooper, divide the batter evenly onto the prepared pan.
  6. Bake the muffins in a preheated oven for 18-20 minutes.
  7. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes then move them to the cooling rack. Enjoy them warm or at room temperature.
See!!! I told you this is a really easy recipe. For the leftover egg white, makes meringues for easy something sweeter.

Allergy Info: These honey muffins are free from or can be made without dairy, corn, legumes (soy), and fish. If you are allergic to nuts, omit the ground almond. Use vegetable oil instead of palm shortening or coconut oil. Remember that not all honey are created equal. Try to find local honey from wild flower fed bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment