Monday, December 29, 2014

Flat and Chewy Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies

Many years ago, even before Camden was born, I baked the most delicious cookies, from Ina's chocolate chip cookies recipe. She suggested baking two ways: flat and chewy cookies or bars. I baked the cookies and... oh wow... they were so buttery. For the first time, I declared that the chocolate chip cookies baked from real ingredients were better than store bought.

Since I figured out that Brek still has dairy intolerance, I changed Ina's chocolate chip recipe with dairy free substitute, coconut oil. But the cookies fell apart because the cookie texture was just too soft. It's been years that I've tested many chocolate chip cookies recipes to achieve that same buttery and chewy textures. But no luck... until now.

I bought a dessert cookbook called The Perfect Finish because I just luv the photographs of the sweets. Plus, each recipe is full of the real ingredients. I found the flat and chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe and the photograph of them. You could say that I had ants in my pants and just couldn't wait to test the recipe. The verdict? Let's just say that when I asked my kids if they wanted cookies for their afternoon snack, Brek said no. When I showed them the cookies, Camden said, "Ouuu that looks good." Brek agreed, "That does look good." And they gobbled them all up. Mission accomplished!!!

The original recipe asks for chopped walnuts, but I used chopped pecans. So I'm thinking any nut substitute should work. Probably even omit the nuts if you have nut allergy or just don't want them at all. I add the nuts for extra crunch and proteins. Plus, my kids luv pecans. I also omitted the granulated sugar because the cookies would be too sweet. I was right. The light brown sugar was plenty sweet.

Flat and Chewy Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
adapted from The Perfect Finish's flat and chewy chocolate chip cookies
makes 18 cookies

1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup (5.4 oz.) light brown sugar
1/4 cup (2 oz.) palm shortening
1 cup (4 oz.) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup chocolate chips (mix and match semi sweet to bitter sweet)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
  1. Place a nonstick mat or parchment paper on the baking tray. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla extract, sugar, and palm shortening. Set aside.
  3. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, chocolate chips, and pecans.
  4. Add the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
  5. Using a fork, mix both mixtures together until the cookie dough is formed.
  6. Using a small scooper, scoop the dough into a prepared pan.
  7. Freeze the cookie until firm, about an hour.
  8. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F degree.
  9. Place the cookie dough about 1 to 2 inch apart. NOTE: Remember that these cookies will spread out as they are baked.
  10. Bake in a preheated oven for 8 minutes.
  11. Using a spatula or a fork, flatten the cookies.
  12. Bake until crispy, about 3-5 minutes more.
  13. Allow the cookies to cool in the baking pan for 5 minutes. Then transfer them to a wiring rack to cool completely. Enjoy!!!
STORING: Keep the cookies in an air tight container at a room temperature for up to 3 days. The cookie dough freeze well, up to 6 months.

Allergy Info: These flat and chewy chocolate chip pecan cookies are free from dairy, corn, legumes (soy), and fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment