Monday, February 23, 2015

Espresso Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Every year, I appreciate the daylight saving time because I seem to get the extra hour of life. Everything is slowing down for me. I enjoy that for a few days until my body adjusts to the time changes.

When the day gets longer and the daylight saving time comes to an end, I feel so rush and tired. That's when I say out loud, "Do we really need the daylight saving time?" Let's face it. It's harder to get up an hour early than to sleep in for another hour. This is the time for caffeine fix.

Daylight saving time will end soon. Thinking of my blog, I decided that I have to come up with a recipe that includes caffeine in it. I wanted to test a breakfast recipe. Coffee wasn't enough. I needed something that I could eat that tasted like coffee. Something that will kick and jump start my morning for at least a week.

Banana chocolate chip muffins are the easier breakfast to bake. They are also great for grab-and-go breakfast. I decided to use my go-to banana chocolate chip muffins recipe and spiked the batter with instant espresso. I also added cocoa powder for deep dark coffee coloring. I baked them for breakfast one morning to test them out.

The espresso aromatic is just enough to keep anybody awake. Forget about losing sleep. I'd luv to wake up to the espresso banana chocolate chip muffins and a cup of coffee every morning. My kids can have them with hot cocoa. So bring on the end of daylight saving. My kids and I are ready to caffeine up for a week.

Espresso Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
makes 6 regular size muffins

3/4 cup (3 oz.) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
2 teaspoons cocoa powder

1/4 cup (2.5 oz.) granulated sugar
3 Tbs. (1.5 oz.) safflower oil
1 large egg
1 (3 oz.) medium very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1/4 cup (1.5 oz.) chocolate chips or chucks
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F degree. Line the 6 regular size muffin pan with foil or paper liners.
  2. In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, espresso, and cocoa powder.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, and egg.
  4. Add the mashed banana and mix again.
  5. Add the flour mixture and whisk until just combine.
  6. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  7. Using a large scooper, divide the batter equally into the prepared muffin pan. TIP: Add a chocolate chuck or sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the batter before baking. Just to make the muffins look delectable.
  8. Bake until the tooth pick inserted into the muffin comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes.
  9. Enjoy them while they are warm with a cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment