Monday, February 9, 2015

Chocolate Pudding (dairy and egg free)

I confess. I'm a chocoholic. Isn't it that obvious since I luv to post chocolate related recipes? Anything chocolate, especially the dark ones, I'll try at least a bite. But seriously, who doesn't like chocolate?

Before I started living in my kitchen, I didn't even know how to make a chocolate pudding. I only knew the pudding in the prepackaged kinds that I didn't even bother to read the ingredients. Actually, I didn't even know how to read labels. Once again, I had to make a chocolate pudding because... you guess it... my kids' food sensitivity to dairy and legumes.

Searching the cookbooks and on the internet for a chocolate pudding recipe was super easy. There were tons of them. Some made with eggs. Some even added avocado. The ingredients for each recipe weren't that surprising or anything fancy.

After I tested a few recipes and came up with my own, I never once bought a prepackaged pudding again. I know what's in my chocolate pudding too.

Sometimes I make the chocolate pudding with egg yolks, so my kids can have vitamins in their diet. To do this, substitute two large egg yolks to the all-purpose flour. Use the egg whites to make marshmallow fluff and serve it as topping. Using the egg yolks is a good alternative for gluten free chocolate pudding. Personally, both taste the same. So there you go. You aren't missing out on anything if you can't have gluten or eggs.

I make this chocolate pudding just enough for my kids. Feel free to double or triple the amount. Great for lunchbox too.

Chocolate Pudding (dairy and egg free)
makes 1 cup

1 cup (8 oz.) coconut milk
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar (or to taste)
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
  1. Place all of the ingredients in a small pot.
  2. Whisk until combine.
  3. Bring the mixture to a soft boil.
  4. Continue whisking until the mixture is thicken, about 1-2 minutes.
  5. Pass the pudding through a sieve. NOTE: This step is optional, but it makes a very smooth chocolate pudding.
  6. Spoon the chocolate pudding into serving bowls.
  7. Let cool then enjoy!!!
NOTE: For the Mocha Chocolate Pudding, add 3 teaspoons instant espresso or instant granulated coffee in step-1. To add proteins to the chocolate pudding, add 1-2 egg yolks and be sure to use the tempering technique as mentioned in the pastry cream blog post.

STORING: Keep the chocolate pudding in a container in the fridge for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment