Monday, March 30, 2015

Carrot Cupcakes

My kids keep reminding me that veggies taste too plain. Of course, I still place a few pieces of carrots, cucumber slices, or whatever I can get a hold of on their dinner plates.

Recently, I'm so in luv with organic carrots. They taste super sweet and the crunch is very satisfying. I'd go through two pounds of carrots per week. Snacking during dinner making is a good way to tame my hunger. The best thing about carrots? Organic rainbow carrots!!! See, there is such thing as eating a rainbow of colors.

Since it's nearly Easter, I've been thinking of baking a carrot cake. I decided to test out William Sonoma's carrot cake last week. After I modified the original recipe to make it dairy and legume free, I found the carrot cupcakes were very moist. Since we cannot have dairy, I went ahead and frosted the cupcakes with marshmallow fluff. The carrot shaped cookies were just F-U-N.

I remember baking my kids some carrot cupcakes before, and they weren't big fans. This time, they devoured them. I know they don't like to eat veggies but having them eat something in my baked sweet is good enough.

Carrot Cupcakes
adapted from William Sonoma's classic carrot cake
makes 12

2 large eggs
1/3 cup (3 oz.) sunflower oil
1/3 cup (3 oz.) granulated sugar
2.5 oz.) light brown sugar
1/4 cup (2 oz.) coconut cream
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup (4 oz.) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup (1 1/2-2 oz.) shredded carrots

Frosting
1 marshmallow fluff recipe
1/4 cup (2 oz.) shortening
carrot shaped cookies (optional)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the regular muffin pan with cupcake liners or spray it with a cooking oil. Set aside
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, sugars, coconut cream, and vinegar. Set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, shift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
  4. Add the shredded carrots to the flour mixture and coat well.
  5. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture.
  6. Whisk until the batter just combine.
  7. Divide the batter equally in the prepared pan.
  8. Bake in the preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 15-18 minutes.
  9. Let the carrot cupcakes cool on the cooling rack.
  10. For the frosting, makes the marshmallow fluff as directed. Then add the shortening and mix well.
  11. Frost and decorate the cupcakes with shaped carrot cookies. Enjoy!!!
STORING: Without frosting, keep the cupcakes in a container at a room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. With frosting, keep them in a container in the fridge for up to 2 days.

Allergy Info: These carrot cupcakes are free from or can be made without dairy, corn, legumes (soy), nuts (not coconut), and fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment