Monday, April 6, 2015

Homemade Baking Powder

Ok, I confess. I like to buy prepackaged baking powder, the Featherweight Baking Powder. At Whole Foods, one container costs almost six dollars. And every time I bought one, I always had a thought in the back of my mind, "Why don't I just make my own?" Well, it's one of those things that I've been making everything from scratch and if there is a clean prepackaged product, I'd rather buy it.

Last weekend, I was looking to buy another container but none was available. I can't bake without a baking powder.

A long time ago, I made a note on how to make my own baking powder. Searching on line confirmed that a baking powder is basically a mixture of baking soda and cream of tartar. Adding corn starch to keep the mixture fresh. But I decide not to add corn starch or any other starches. Just keep my baking powder in an air tight container, like a mason jar, at a room temperature. I'd make as little as possible so my baking powder stays fresh.

Homemade Baking Powder
makes as much as you like

1 part baking soda
2 parts cream of tartar
  1. Measure out the baking soda and cream of tartar. To be accurate, use a kitchen scale. NOTE: I measure out 0.5 oz. baking soda to 1 oz. cream of tartar.
  2. Shift both ingredients together twice.
  3. Place the baking powder in an air tight container at a room temperature.
STORING: Keep the baking powder in an air tight container at a room temperature for up to 3 months.

Allergy Info: This baking powder is free from or can be made without dairy, eggs, corn, legumes (soy), wheat, nuts, or fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment