Thursday, May 14, 2015

Strawberry Cookies (dairy and egg free)

The challenge with having food intolerance or allergy came when I had to bake cookies from scratch. Since I came to a conclusion that Camden has chicken eggs intolerance, I've tested and made all sweets without them.

All of my cookie recipes have at least one large chicken egg in them. Bummer!!! What to do?!?! I tested my pecan chocolate chip cookies without eggs, but they came out like a short bread. I didn't like them too much because they were messy to eat. So I checked out a lot of egg free baking cookbooks and researching them online. I came to a conclusion that the secret ingredient to baking cookies is... are you ready... liquid. It can be applesauce or coconut cream or even just plain cold water. Replace two tablespoons for every large chicken egg.

I modified Allergy's Mama's chocolate chip recipe to achieve the right consistency of vanilla cookie dough. Then I added other ingredients like chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruits. I came up with the strawberry cookies because I had extra freeze dried strawberries that I meant to use up. So there you go. Strawberry cookies with no dairy and no eggs. So very strawberry aromatic that vanilla extract is no needed. My kids luv them. Great for their breakfast or afternoon snack.

Strawberry Cookies
adapted from Allergy Mama's chocolate chip cookies
makes 16

1/4 cup (2 oz.) shortening
1/4 cup (1.8 oz.) light brown sugar
1/4 cup (1.8 oz.) sugar
2 Tablespoons (1.4 oz.) unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup (3.7 oz.) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 Tablespoons freeze dried strawberries, roughly crushed
  1. Preheat the oven to 375F degree. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or nonstick matt. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the shortening, sugars, and apple sauce with a hand mixer until creaming.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and freeze dried strawberries.
  4. Add the flour mixture to the shortening cream.
  5. Mix it with the hand mixer until just combine.
  6. Using a small scoop, scoop the cookie dough on to the prepare pan, making sure they are about an inch apart.
  7. Bake in a preheated oven for exactly 12 minutes.
  8. Allow the cookies to cool on a pan for 5 minutes then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!!!
STORING: These strawberries cookies can be kept in an air tight container at a room temperature for up to 3 days. Place the cookie dough in a freezable container for up to 3 months.

Allergy Info: These strawberry cookies are free from or can be made without dairy, egg, corn, legumes (soy), nuts, and fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment