Sunday, May 3, 2015

Sopapillas

What is not to like about deep-fried food. And deep-fried dough is even better.

Back when I was on Camden's strict allergy free diet, I saw a cooking show, featuring Daddy's Fried Dough. He deep-fried a pizza dough and drizzled it with a chocolate sauce. I luv the idea and tested it out using my own pizza dough. Very addicting.

The thing about this deep-fried dough dessert is that I have to have a yeast dough in order for it to work. I even learned how to make Beignets. Another winner for deep-fried dough. Again, waiting for the dough to rise is always very time consuming. When I plan my kids' afternoon snack, I usually don't plan ahead. I make them something sweeter that morning, usually after we eat our brunch. When they ask for deep-fried dough for their afternoon snack, I just cannot have yeast dough ready to deep fried that quickly.

I came across several sopapilla recipes and realized that I could have deep-fried dough in no time. I tested out several recipes and came up with my own. But seriously though. The dough is like flour tortilla dough with baking powder which is a must have ingredients. Without it, the dough won't puff up when deep-fried.

Three things I usually add to my sopapilla: powdered sugar, cinnamon-sugar, or melted chocolate. If I have time, pastry cream is a sweet creamy compliment to these sopapillas.

Sopapilla
serve 2-3

1 1/4 (5 oz.) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 Tablespoons sunflower oil, more for cooking
1/3 cup (3 oz.) hot water
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
  2. Mix in the oil.
  3. Add the hot water and mix well until a dough is formed.
  4. Roll the dough out into 1/2 inch thick. NOTE: If the dough is too thin, the dough won't puff up when it hits the hot oil. Keep them on the thick side.
  5. Cut the dough into desired shapes, such as square, rectangle, or circle.
  6. Place about 2 inch oil in a heavy bottom pot.
  7. While the oil is heating up, place a wiring rack on top of a baking pan. Set aside.
  8. Once the oil reaches 350F degree, drop the dough, about 5 at the time.
  9. Deep-fried the dough until golden brown, about 1 minute per side.
  10. Transfer the sopapilla to a prepared pan to drain the oil.
  11. Choose your flavorings. TIPS: Coat the sopapilla with cinnamon-sugar. Leave them plain for powdered sugar, melted chocolate, or pastry cream. Enjoy!!!
Flavorings:
Cinnamon-sugar: mix together 3 tablespoons granulated sugar with 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Powered sugar: place a lot of powder sugar in a sugar shaker
Melted chocolate: microwave 1/2 cup of chocolate chip until melted
Pastry cream: click for recipe

STORING: Since the sopapillas are deep-fried dessert, they taste best as soon as they are cool enough to devour.

Allergy Info: These sopapillas are free from dairy, egg, corn, legumes (soy), nuts, and fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment