Sunday, July 19, 2015

Home Fries and Crispy Potato Skins

Cooking with potatoes is pretty easy. But let's face it, it can be boring if I don't cook it right. I mean, cooking crunchy potatoes is pretty tricky. I personally don't like to make French fries in the oven or deep-fryer. It's a challenge to make then crunchy. They also have to be eating right away, or they would get soaky.

My solution? Home fries. The potatoes are cubed. Cooking them is super easy. Just like my hash brown recipe, don't add any salt while cooking the home fries. They'd brown faster. Adding the salt or any other spices at the end of the cooking is best.

Since I read that potatoes are one of the dirty dozen, I've started using organic potatoes in all of my recipes. We don't eat that many potatoes here. So I'd buy maybe 3-4 potatoes per week. I like to make them as breakfast's side dish.
 
I usually peel the potatoes before cooking them. After reading that potato skins have to most fibers, I decided to wash and dry the skins and pan fry them. Whoa!!! Addictive. Plus, my kids luv them.

Home Fries and Crispy Potato Skins
serving 2-3

1-2 large potatoes, washed and peeled
safflower oil
salt to taste
  1. Set the wiring rack on a baking pan. Place a clean towel or napkin on a plate. Set them aside.
  2. Wash and dry the potatoes.
  3. Peel them and set the potato skins aside.
  4. Cut the potatoes into cubes, making sure they are the same size.
  5. Heat the frying pan at a medium-low heat.
  6. Add the oil just enough to cover the pan.
  7. When the oil is hot, add all of the potato skins.
  8. Pan fry them until crispy, one minute per side.
  9. Take them out to the prepared wiring rack and sprinkle with salt to taste.
  10. In the same pan, add the cubed potatoes.
  11. Cook the potatoes for 3-4 minutes. Flip over and cook 3-4 minutes more.
  12. Drain the home fries on the prepared plate and sprinkle with salt to taste. Enjoy them as a side dish.
STORING: If there is any left over home fries, store them in a container in a fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the heated frying pan until they are warm and crispy again.

Allergy Info: These home fries and crispy potato skins are free from or can be made without dairy, eggs, corn, legumes (soy), wheat, nuts, and fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment