Saturday, July 4, 2015

Indoor Grilled Steak

I hardly ever make meals using any type of beef. For one thing, it's really difficult for me to cook the beef tender enough for my kids to enjoy. 

When Camden said he wanted beef for dinner, I was browsing for a beef cut at a local grocery store that very day. I asked the staff regarding the cut and he suggested Kobe beef. But that was $14 per pound. Yikes!!! So he recommended the second best, top sirloin steak, which was about $7 per pound. Ok, that was reasonable. I bought a slice, took it home, and really didn't know what to do with it. I decided to just grill it indoor. The beef came out juicy and tender. We were all able to enjoy it.

The second time I grilled it, it came out too raw. Must be a thicker cut. So I cooked it longer. Then it was too well done and was too dry. I asked my husband, the grill-master in his own right, about the cooking time. He told me not to over cook it. So I began my adventure of perfecting an indoor grill steak.

A few things to remember. Before starting the indoor grilling, I make sure all the bedroom doors are closed. If the outside temperature is nice, get those windows open to get the smoke and the grilled smell out of the house. I've noticed that the smell won't linger.

Now let's get back to that steak. Be sure to set the steak at a room temperature. This way the middle of the steak won't be too cold when grill. I usually buy the steak and grill it that very day, so I never had to go through this step. Another thing is to make sure the grill pan is super hot. I want to sear the outside but warm and cook the inside.

Flavor the beef with only salt. I learned this technique from Tyler Florence. Because ground black pepper can burn in a hot grill pan, sprinkle it after the steak is cooked.

Timing is another factor. Depending on the thickness of the cut, I grill 4-5 minutes on the one side. After flipping it, I cook it for another 3-4 minutes. If I notice that the steak is too raw, I'd slice it thinly then zap it in microwave for 30 seconds.

Last but not least, let the steak rests. The steak will continue to cook and will come out perfectly juicy and tender. My kids and I prefer thin slice steak.

Now what are you going to do with the perfectly grilled steak???

Indoor Grilled Steak
serving 4-6 (for us, this makes about 3 meals)

1 pound USDA or grass-fed top sirloin steak
sea salt
cooking oil spray
freshly ground black pepper
  1. Heat the grill pan on medium to high heat about 5 minutes.
  2. Deliberately salt the steak on both side.
  3. Spray the grill pan with cooking oil.
  4. Turn the oven vent on HIGH.
  5. Place the steak on the preheated grill pan.
  6. Grill it for 4-5 minutes.
  7. Flip and grill the other side for another 3-4 minutes.
  8. Place the grilled steak on a plate.
  9. Sprinkle ground black pepper on one side of the steak.
  10. Cover steak with a large bowl and let it rest.
  11. Slice the steak thinly and serve with your favorite sides. TIP: We eat them with tortilla, steamed or sticky rice, rice pilaf, and other veggies and fruits.
STORING: Keep the grilled steak in a container in the fridge for up to 5 days.

Allergy Info: This grilled beef is free from or can be made without dairy, eggs, corn, legumes (soy), nuts, wheat), and fish. Keep in mind that not all sea salt is corn free. Research and use the corn free brand. Also get a grass-fed cuts as they are most likely corn free and not that much more expensive than USDA cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment